Friday, March 16, 2018

Haunted by the Mission


Have you ever wondered whether or not your church was haunted? I grew up in a pastor’s home and would often accompany my dad to the church building after hours. Sometimes he would even send me on errands to the church building from the parsonage across the street. I never liked being in the church at night by myself. There were too many dark corners and too much creaking from a settling building. No, I don’t believe in ghosts, but neither do I study at my office in the empty church building on Saturday nights.

While I know my church is not haunted, I confess that I am haunted. Something disturbed me in my very depths even before I began serving as a senior pastor. I am haunted by the mission God has given his church, the mission of making disciples. There are many things that I do on a regular basis that are important for the well-being of the church I serve: study and preparation, evangelistic conversations, leadership meetings, pastoral care, and counseling, etc. But the burden I cannot get away from is the disciple-making mission of the church.

While I believe we as pastors and leaders will answer for our words, our leadership, and our love at the judgment seat of Christ, I believe we will most certainly answer for our commitment to make disciples or our lack thereof. Jesus’ last words to his followers were to make disciples. So how do we go about strategizing our church around the mission of disciple-making? Read More

You May Also Like
The Focused Leader: Keeping the Mission as the Ultimate Goal

No comments: