Monday, August 07, 2017

The Pilgrim's Way: Life as a Christian


Are You Shaped By the World or By the Word?

There’s a section in department stores these days called “shapewear.” It’s in both women’s and men’s clothing. These stores are banking on our concern with the shape of our bodies and our willingness to invest in garments that promise to give us the shape we’re looking for.

But when we read Paul’s letter to the church in Rome, we discover it’s not what is shaping our bodies that he is most concerned about. He’s concerned about what is shaping our perspective, our priorities, our pursuits, and our opinions. Read More

Envision the End of Your Sin

In the past few weeks I’ve witnessed several dear friends flirt with sin in a terrifying way. These friends love Jesus very much, but circumstances have exposed areas of easy entrance for the tempter.

As I’ve pondered their struggles, and my own wandering heart, I’ve been reminded of an exhortation I received many years ago in seminary. Chancellor Chuck Swindoll was preaching in the morning chapel service. Read More

Your Faith Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Real

I often find myself thinking about the great men and women of faith we see in the Bible. Their boldness, courage, fearlessness, and tenacity to pursue after what God had laid out for them. I often compare myself to these individuals. Maybe you’ve done the same. I wish I was that bold and faithful I tell myself. I wish I trusted God as unabashedly as they did. It’s really easy for me to compare myself to those who have done things I yearn to do. Not only within the words of the Bible but also in day-to-day life.

But what I have to constantly remind myself is the fact that these people we’re not perfect, and what I may perceive as a perfect and flawless life of faith and trust in God isn’t actually the case. They were human just like you and I. They made mistakes. They fell short. And they sometimes even chose the wrong. I’ve learned that your faith doesn’t always have to be perfect to be faith. In fact, it never will be and the Bible tells us that to be true (Ecclesiastes 7:20). Read More
The photo shows the guide posts that mark the path by which pilgrims may safely cross the mudflats at low tide to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne off the northeast coast of England. Lindisfarne was an important center of Celtic Christianity in the seventh century and continues to attract pilgrims to this day. 

No comments: