Friday, August 28, 2015

Five Ways to Deepen Your Preaching


I’ve been blessed lately with the opportunity to preach a bit more. I really enjoy preaching, and the homiletics training I received at Covenant Seminary during my M.Div. was excellent. But the more I learn about preaching, the more I feel like I’m just beginning to learn what it even means to preach. Preaching to me is like a vast mountain, the top of which is hidden by clouds and cannot be seen, and the higher I climb, the more it stretches up still higher and higher above me.

I’m not looking for encouragement when I say that, or trying to be deliberately modest. Its honestly how I feel. I think every preacher who has some awareness of the grandness and height of his task feels acutely his own unworthiness. I’ve referenced before the statement by Lloyd-Jones that “any man who has had some glimpse of what it is to preach will inevitably feel that he has never preached.” To that could be added the testimony of Spurgeon: “There is no good preacher who is not moved almost to the point of tears at the end of every sermon at how poor was the message he just delivered.”

And yet, by the grace of God, Sunday by Sunday, we preach. Here are 5 lessons I’m learning along the way. If you are a fellow preacher, trying to climb this vast and steep mountain alongside me, I hope these might be helpful to you. Keep reading

No comments: