Thursday, May 21, 2015

If-Only Discipleship


Many Christians subscribe to what I’d call if-only discipleship. They feel held back from serving God effectively by their circumstances, which are often quite restrictive and sometimes beyond their control. And they long for such circumstances to change and open up real opportunities to serve God.

I’d serve God much more effectively, if only I owned a home. Or if only I were in better health. Or if only I had fewer responsibilities with my children / parents. Or if only I were younger / older. Or if only I were in a bigger / smaller church. Or if only I were married. Or if only I were married to a believer. And so on. This type of thinking is understandable. There have certainly been times in my life when my capacity to serve God seemed pretty limited.

How important are your circumstances for serving God? Do they need to change for you to serve him to the full? Keep reading

Photo credit: Pixabay, public domain

No comments: