Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Children of Green Knowe: Make It a Christmas Tradition


The Children of Green Knowe is a 1986 BBC TV adaptation of Lucy M. Boston’s children’s novel by the same name. The story features a young boy, Toseland, also called Tolly for short, and his great grandmother, Linnet Oldknow. While visiting his great grandmother at Green Knowe over the Christmas holidays, Tolly, encounters the spirits of three children who lived at Green Knowe during the reign of Charles II. While attending the Christmas Eve service at his great grandmother’s parish church, Tolly is transported back in time to an earlier service that the three children attended before their untimely deaths from the Great Plague that ravished London in 1665-1666. It is a story for the whole family. Watching The Children of Green Knowe has become a Christmas tradition for me. I have read all six books in the Green Knowe series and as many of Lucy M. Boston’s other books as I could lay my hands on.

The Children of Green Knowe Episode 1 Part 1
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 1 Part 2
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 1 Part 3
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 1 Part 4
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 2 Part 1
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 2 Part 2
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 2 Part 3
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 2 Part 4
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 3 Part 1
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 3 Part 2
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 3 Part 3
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 3 Part 4
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 4 Part 1
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 4 Part 2
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 4 Part 3
The Children of Green Knowe Episode 4 Part 4

The second book in the series, The Chimneys of Green Knowe, was made into a movie, From Time to Time, in 2009, and may be viewed on Netflix.


1 comment:

Marilyn Franklin said...

The Children of Green Knowe is a Christmas tradition for me too. I've watched it every year since I discovered it 7 years ago. It always enchants me and touches my heart. I watch it alone because if I watched it with someone who didn't love it as much as I do I don't think I could feel the same way about them. It's my own private little piece of Christmas magic.