Saturday, December 20, 2014

Show, Not (Just) Tell


Consider these three levels of delivery for transforming propositional statements into concrete examples.

It happened to me. I humbly admit it.

It was years ago and an ordinary Sunday. I was in the pulpit, facing the congregation, when I experienced a life-changing incident. In midsentence, I encountered something career shattering. In fact, I’ve never been able to shake the terror. It was a tragic moment.

I realized I was boring.

That’s right! I looked out across the glazed eyes of the congregation. They were thinking about their next trip to the grocery store, the afternoon ballgame –– something other than what I was saying. The room was warm

I was not smiling.

I was explaining an important theological concept, but nobody was listening. It was vital information, but my declaration of propositional truth wearied them.

Have you ever lost contact with the crowd, knowing your content, albeit essential, was boring?

I assume (a) you just said yes and (b) it probably had something to do with your lack of supporting material. That’s because propositional statements, which are not visual, are boring without concrete examples, which are visible. Memorable sermons are full of concrete examples.

Concrete examples turn invisible propositions into vivid, life-changing visuals. When you speak visually, you turn the hearer’s ears into eyes, and they not only hear you, they see what you are saying. Hence, sermons need the assistance of visuals to keep eternal truths from being dull propositions. The Bible is not a boring book; often, we preachers are.

Good news: You can correct a boring delivery! Take action to make your preaching less lackluster and more engaging by using concrete examples. Consider these three levels of delivery for transforming propositional statements into concrete examples. Read more

No comments: