Saturday, April 26, 2014

How the Preacher can do Weddings He'll Not Regret


My first wedding didn’t turn out too well. My sister and the fellow she chose for her life-mate asked me to marry them. I was ordained and trying to pastor a tiny church outside Birmingham, but other than that, was as green as it’s possible to get. I bought a Pastor’s Manual (yep, they make those things) and in someone’s living room, as I recall, read every word of the ceremony.

I sometimes wondered if the fact that the marriage didn’t last had anything to do with the fact that I didn’t know what I was doing.

Sometime–when we both have the time–I’ll tell you some of my wedding stories. I have quite a few, some embarrassing to me (like calling the groom by the best man’s name) and some embarrassing to the participants (like the time the bride fainted), and some just funny.

I have done hundreds of weddings in almost every conceivable situation–sanctuaries, college chapels, parks, living rooms, and back yard patios–and so have learned a few lessons on how to do this right. (And twice that many on how to get it wrong!)
,Br/> Here are my pointers. Use any that work for you, and ignore the rest. Keep reading

See also
A Letter I Gave to Couples Who Wanted Me to Perform Their Wedding Ceremony

No comments: