Thursday, January 23, 2014

Brian Moss: How to Resurrect a Dying or Plateaued Church


Before I came to my current church, they had been on a 15 year plateau followed by a near death experience due to a leadership conflict. What was left was a building with about 100 seats, four Sunday school rooms and an average attendance of about 35. It was a real fixer upper if you know what I mean.

I started as a bi-vocational pastor, which they really liked since they couldn’t actually afford a full time pastor. I had a head full of dreams and a heart burning to make a difference. The only things I lacked were skill and knowledge! Ours is not a story of overnight success. We didn’t rocket to thousands by dressing cool and throwing in a band. We were a very traditional congregation that longed to see God come to life in our church. The only problem was, we didn’t know how to do this.

As I reflect back and try to understand how our church was transformed I never land on any specific programs, strategies or methods that were the secret. I have found that it was a culmination of several factors over time. For what it’s worth, here’s a few of my suggestions for resurrecting a plateaued or dying church.... Keep reading

Photo: vallecrucis.com

No comments: