Saturday, August 24, 2013

Christians 'should applaud' Girl Guide unit over religious Promise stance


Christians have expressed their support for a Girl Guide unit in Harrogate that has vowed to retain the original religious Promise.

Girlguiding UK voted earlier in the year to change the Promise to "love my God" to instead "be true to myself and develop my beliefs". Although the Promise to serve the Queen remains unchanged, new guides will no longer promise to serve "my country" but rather "my community".

The leader of the St Paul's Harrogate unit, Hazel Mitford, told volunteer leader Jem Henderson in a letter that it would be "sticking with the previous Promise".

However, 28-year-old Jem Henderson, has complained that the stance is unfair to her and other atheists in the unit. Read more

Also see
Girl Guide unit sticks with original God oath

No comments: