Monday, April 22, 2013

Viewpoint: Why I Object to Screen Preaching


Is it okay for a preacher to speak to a Christian gathering via a screen? Or is it important that he be physically present with them? In an earlier article I suggested in passing that "it matters for the preacher to be physically present to preach in the assembly of the church." That remark prompted both a comment that numerous churches (including several led by TGC Council Members) now function as multi-site gatherings in which the pastor preaches from a screen, and a request that I write another piece exploring this question more deeply. So here goes. Let me say at the start that I want to stand by what I said. But I want to nuance it. Read more
The Journey, the church with which I have been sojourning for the past six years, uses screen preaching at its second campus. The Journey was launched seven years ago. Late last year it expanded from one campus to two. The second campus was not formally launched until this year. For the more recent sermons preached at the Journey, go to http://theepicjourney.com/currentsermon/. Previous sermon series can be found at http://theepicjourney.com/vault/.

No comments: