Tuesday, February 28, 2012

An American Prayer Book (2009): The Canticles


THE CANTICLES

Venite (Psalm 95)

O come, let us sing to the Lord;*
let us heartily rejoice in the rock of our salvation.

Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving*
and be glad in him with psalms

For the Lord is a great God*
and a great king above all gods.

In his hand are the depths of the earth*
and the heights of the mountains are his also

The sea is his, for he made it,*
and his hands have molded the dry land.

Come, let us worship and bow down*
and kneel before the Lord our Maker.

For he is our God;*
and we are the people of his pasture
and the sheep of his hand.

The canticle may end here with 'Glory to the Father…'

O that today you would listen to his voice:*
'Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
on that day at Massah in the wilderness,

'When your forebears tested me, and put me to the proof,*
though they had seen my works.

'Forty years long I detested that generation and said,*
"This people are wayward in their hearts;
they do not know my ways."

'So I swore in my wrath,*
"They shall not enter into my rest." '

Glory to the Father, and to the Son,*
and to the Holy Spirit;

as it was in the beginning, is now*
and shall be for ever. Amen

Keep reading

No comments: