Saturday, November 26, 2011

Courage For the Small Church Pastor


This week I'm preparing a talk for my congregation from the great text found in Joshua 1:9. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." As so often happens God is allowing me to learn these great truths of His Word through the pages of my life as each day turns anew.

I know that this divine encouragement was given to the great army general, Joshua. However, on this day, God is reminding me of the courage necessary for church planters and small group pastors.

I remember those intense days of three years ago on Thanksgiving 2008, when Church Requel was given its first breath of life. Because of the horrible local economy, I lost my middle management position as an executive pastor of a megachurch. I remember thinking - as my father had taught me repeatedly - that this setback was not the problem it appeared to be, but rather an opportunity to do something new and something different. Rather than look for another pastoral position with an existing church, we would start a new church with a few friends and see how God would bless it. To read more, click here.

No comments: