Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ministry Mulligans


For those unfamiliar with the term, a "mulligan" is a free shot sometimes given a golfer in informal play when the previous shot was poorly played.

I used to be a pastor. For nearly two decades, I enjoyed the thrills, spills, chills and can't-quite-pay-the-bills of local church ministry. Now, five years after packing up my office for the final time (including two boxes of Leadership back issues), I still think about those years in the pastorate every single day. No exceptions. It's as though the word pastor is branded on my heart. And as I reflect on those 1,000 weeks in the world's most glorious, dangerous profession, I often think about what I would do differently if I had another shot at it. If I was given a ministry mulligan, here is what I'd do with it.

To read more, click here.

No comments: