Saturday, May 02, 2009

Say no to assimilation

http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/ministry/marketing/say_no_to_assimilation/

[sydneyanglicans.net] 2 May 2009--In my last article on “Reaching the New Sydney”, I presented the challenge of reaching the multi-cultural population that is the New Sydney.

As we consider how to do this, there is a fundamental issue that first needs to be addressed.

Over the years, I have encountered the view that runs something like this – “It’s OK to set up a culturally distinctive ministry for evangelistic purposes (to reach “them”), but once they become Christians, they should assimilate into the local church (become like “us”).”

To which I ask the question – “Why is that? What’s the reason for that view?”
As I turn to the Scriptures for answers, this is what I see:

No comments: