Thursday, July 24, 2008

How much church is enough?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/opinion/stories/north_graham_20edi_.83550a68.html

[The Dallas Morning News] 24 Jul 2008--“No, there’s no time to have fun as a family. We have to go to church.”

“Sorry, can’t talk right now. I am busy listening to Christian music on my Christian iPod while I use my Christian phonebook to find a Christian plumber to fix the leak in my Christian sink.”

“You think I want to sit here and bask in the awe of God’s presence? No way; I have choir practice in 15 minutes.”

Have you ever heard statements like these? Have you ever said them? Sometimes Christians forget they live in the real world. This may sound strange coming from a Christian, especially one whose chosen occupation is centered on helping non-Christians become Christians. Yet, each of us has met a Christ-follower (or buildings full of them) too busy with church stuff to pay attention to the needs of the world around them.

The highest calling of Christians, as given by Jesus Christ, is to “go and tell.” Some churches in our society still boldly preach “go and tell,” yet actually live out “come and hear.” Somehow they get sidetracked by laziness or busy schedules or fear of change or unwillingness to open up to strangers or simply spiritual apathy.

No comments: