Monday, May 21, 2007

Making Musical Contact

http://your.sydneyanglicans.net/mission/missionthinking/making_musical_contact_archie_poulos/

[yoursydneyanglicans.net] 21 May 2007--Last month I asked the question about the best ways to make contact with our community. I suggested that we have turned our backs on old methods like door knocking and gone for up-market entertainment events. My suggestion was that there is strong evidence that the old methods produce better long term results.

In that article I noted that a brilliantly organised Jazz Night brought no lasting contacts. My friend Con Campbell, who many of us know to be a wonderful saxophonist who plays at evangelistic jazz nights, told me a number of stories of people eventually coming to faith through events such as these. This was a good corrective by Con. I am not opposed to innovative contact means and jazz nights work brilliantly, especially with university educated, childless people. What I am suggesting is that we should not jettison the personal, relational methods which Christians are best at, and which are entirely gospel encouraged.

I want to now revisit another old means of making contact with our community…

It’s the choir.

No comments: